• The Trading House, Market Place, Easingwold
  • The Trading House, Market Place, Easingwold
  • The Trading House, Market Place, Easingwold

The Trading House, Market Place, Easingwold

The Trading House was purchased by Northminster in early 2023. Centrally located in Easingwold Market Place the 1,530 sq ft two storey building was originally built as a house and has been occupied by the local newspaper, HSBC Bank and more recently a Costa Coffee that failed to re-open after the Covid-19 pandemic.

The exact date the property was built is unknown but local entrepreneur, George Smith, lived there in 1870. He and his brother had owned what was then the local newspaper, the Easingwold Times, which they wound up in 1867 to concentrate on printing with their business, L & G H Smith Printers. George Smith transferred the local Post Office to the property in 1870. He also sold wine, spirits and pianos and established a print works in the cottages behind. In 1892 his son, Reginald Ernest Smith, published the first Easingwold Advertiser and Weekly News, which his own son, George Smith, took over in the 1920’s. The business is still owned and run by the Smith family a century later having relocated to the Town Hall.

Northminster have carried out a refurbishment of the property, including re-roofing and replacing rotted timbers, repairing cracked masonary, installing insulation and steel beams to bolster unsupported brickwork. Fire separation works have also been undertaken to comply with building regulations along with the repair of rotted external windows and shop facia timbers.

The building totals 1,530 sq ft comprising 1,034 sq ft ground floor retail sales, 116 sq ft preparation & storage area with male, female and disabled WC’s. To the first floor is a 380 sq ft store and office area.

The premises is available To Let by way of a new full repairing and insuring lease.

For further information please contact George Burgess or Alastair Gill.